City firefighters were called to a smoldering fire at about 10:45 Friday night at 717 Coffeen Street.
Witnesses said a person was brought from the building and was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation as she was rushed to a waiting ambulance. A neighbor believed the woman was a resident of the house, Ida J. Alteri.
The cause of the fire wasnt clear Friday night. City firefighters were awaiting the arrival of fire investigators. Witnesses said few flames were showing, and within minutes of the fire departments arrival, it appeared they had quelled them.
The fire was reported by a passing driver who saw smoke and flames.