MADRID - The United Church of Madrid will be celebrating at 1 p.m. Sunday the completion of the Good Shepherd Window Restoration, its status on the New York State and National Registers of historic places, and the 175th anniversary of the Methodist tradition in Madrid.
After their dedications, they invite everyone present to join in a covered dish luncheon on the lawn.
The Good Shepherd window originally came from the Madrid Methodist Church and was installed there in 1918. When the Congregational and Methodist churches determined that they would merge in 1974, the window was removed and replaced in a new Sunday School addition on the Congregational Church. Wind, weather and the move 38 years ago, had taken their toll.
It was decided that it needed some TLC.
Ed Dehors of Martville was engaged to take on the project and with the generosity of family, friends and community plus a grant from New York Landmarks Conservancy, they were able to restore this magnificent window.
The window is signed by Harry J. Horwood, a prolific stained glass artist from Ogdensburg.
Many churches in the north country, as well as southern Ontario, have at least one Horwood window to be proud of.
The Good Shepherd is unique because Mr. Horwood signed it in the Bible at the top of the window. Mr. Horwood was a humble man, and executed his windows to the glory of God and usually only signed when asked.
In September 2010, the First Congregational Church and Parsonage of Madrid were named to the State Register of Historic Places and subsequently two months later, to the National Register of Historic Places. This building is now home of the United Church of Madrid and has served the Madrid community since 1807.
Lastly, the dedication celebrates the 175th anniversary of the Methodist tradition in the Madrid area. In 1837, a separate Methodist charge was formed from the Canton circuit. This change centered in Bucks Bridge. By 1847, the congregation decided to move their meeting place to Madrid, since many of the village residents travelled the distance.
The United Church of Madrid is located on the corner of Main Street and Cross Street, state Route 345, Madrid.