Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Wed., Sep. 2
Serving the communities of Massena and Potsdam, New York
Related Stories

Dick’s at Salmon Run Mall closed over early morning fire


Dick’s Sporting Goods at Salmon Run Mall was closed Saturday following an early morning fire caused by an overheated light.

“There was moderate fire damage to one of the racks and clothing,” said town of Watertown Fire Chief Charlie Dillon, whose department responded to the 4:17 a.m. alarm call.

However, merchandise throughout the store sustained smoke and water damage, and the location remained closed as of Saturday evening.

Workers at the mall office and local Dick’s store were unable to provide an estimated reopening and the Dick’s corporate office was closed Saturday, but Chief Dillon said store officials initially hoped to open back up either today or Monday.

“Their district manager was on scene really quick,” he said.

The fire was caused when a ceiling light overheated, causing the contents of the ballast to leak into the light fixtures and create sparks that ignited a rack of clothing below it, Chief Dillon said.

Fortunately, the sprinkler system effectively contained the blaze until firefighters could extinguish it, he said.

“It did what it was supposed to do,” Chief Dillon said.

Sackets Harbor and Brownville firefighters also responded to the scene, as did the town of Watertown ambulance squad.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
DCO on FacebookWDT on Twitter