TRAILER FIRE - POTSDAM - Potsdam firefighters are crediting a smoke detector possibly with saving the life of a Potsdam woman when a fire broke out in her trailer early Monday morning.
Potsdam Fire and Potsdam Rescue were dispatched to a structure fire at 15 Sisson Road at 12:33 a.m. Monday.
Potsdam firefighters, according to a release on the departments Website, called for mutual aid from Norwood and West Potsdam after seeing heavy smoke coming from the residence.
Firefighters said when they arrived at the residence they found heavy smoke pushing from the trailer, but no visible fire. The said firefighters entering the trailer encountered intense heat and smoke and discovered the fire had extended into the roof of the residence. and West Stockholm was then called for mutual aid to respond to the fire scene.The
Parishville Fire Department responded an engine, tanker and manpower for standby at Potsdam Fire Station.
Firefighters said the fire was extinguished and all equipment was back in service at 4:32 a.m. Monday. The outcome of this incident could have been much worse had it not been for a working smoke detector, which awoke the resident of the home and allowed her to escape unharmed, the Potsdam Fire Department release said,
TheSt. Lawrence County Fire Investigation Team and Potsdam Rescue also responded to the fire scene.