LAFARGEVILLE A woman awoke early Wednesday in time to discover that something was burning in the undercarriage of her mobile home, averting a possible disaster, according to a Jefferson County fire investigator.
There were no smoke alarms in the uninsured structure occupied by Amy L. Rhone and her four children, said Roger E. Brunet, the investigator.
LaFargeville, Clayton and Depauville firefighters responded to the 1:50 a.m. call and doused an electrical fire that left smoke damage in the residence, owned by the Rhones. Water from a water heater leak had gotten into wiring, sparking the blaze, Mr. Brunet said.
Mrs. Rhone, whose husband, Bernard, was at work, awakened her sons, Dylan, 19, Shane, 16, and Chad, 14, and daughter, Heather, 17, to make a safe family escape.