Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown
Ogdensburg
Massena-Potsdam
Lowville
Carthage
Malone
NNY Business
NNY Living
NNY Ads
Tue., Oct. 21
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the communities of Massena and Potsdam, New York
Related Stories

Cigarette blamed for Central Street fire that displaced two

PREV
NEXT
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

An improperly discarded cigarette was blamed for a Sunday afternoon fire that has temporarily displaced two tenants of a Central Street apartment building.

Watertown firefighters at 12:43 p.m. were called to 221 Central St. over the report of a fire on the back porch.

The blaze spread to the upper apartment but was contained to the rear section of that apartment, according to city firefighters. However, smoke and water damage throughout both the upper and lower apartments will make them temporarily unlivable.

Owner Robert P. Connell had insurance on the structure, but there apparently was no renter’s insurance, firefighters said.

The Red Cross was called in to assist the displaced tenants.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Giveaway
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
DCO on FacebookWDT on Twitter