Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown Daily Times
The Journal
Daily Courier-Observer
NNY Business
NNY Living
Malone Telegram
Tue., Jul. 22
Serving the communities of Massena and Potsdam, New York
Related Stories

Cigarette blamed for Central Street fire that displaced two

print this article
e-mail this article

An improperly discarded cigarette was blamed for a Sunday afternoon fire that has temporarily displaced two tenants of a Central Street apartment building.

Watertown firefighters at 12:43 p.m. were called to 221 Central St. over the report of a fire on the back porch.

The blaze spread to the upper apartment but was contained to the rear section of that apartment, according to city firefighters. However, smoke and water damage throughout both the upper and lower apartments will make them temporarily unlivable.

Owner Robert P. Connell had insurance on the structure, but there apparently was no renter’s insurance, firefighters said.

The Red Cross was called in to assist the displaced tenants.

Connect with Us
DCO on FacebookWDT on Twitter