POTSDAM Firefighters were called to SUNY Potsdam campus Thursday evening after smoke was detected in Stowell Hall, a classroom building housing biology and chemistry departments.
An extension cord began to emit smoke after shorting-out in a room used to house snakes and turtles.
No animals or people were harmed in the incident, said Vicki Templeton-Cornell, vice president for college advancement.
Probably the only thing that was damaged was the extension cord, she said.
Departments in Potsdam and West Stockholm responded to the call.