WADDINGTON - The home of Jack and Nora Curley at 294 Rookey Road was destroyed by fire late Sunday morning.
Waddington Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jim S. Armstrong said his department was notified of the fire at approximately 11:20 a.m. and were back in service at approximately 2:15 p.m.
St. Lawrence County Fire Investigator Andy Barr was on the scene Sunday afternoon. The cause of the blaze was determined to be a stove pipe malfunction.
St. Lawrence County Fire Deputy Rick Coller said Mr. Curley was the only one of the three residents of the address home alone at the time of the fire.
The property was not insured, and the American Red Cross had been called to provide assistance to family.
Mr. Armstrong said his department was aided on the scene by volunteers from Madrid. Lisbon, Louisville and West Potsdam, with volunteers from Heuvelton and Massena on stand-by.
Fire investigators said two cats are missing and noted there were no smoke alarms at the residence.