MALONE - A 17-year-old from Brasher Falls admitted his role in a Feb. 29 St. Regis Falls home invasion earlier this week in Franklin County Court.
Christopher Randall pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of third-degree burglary.
Randall, along with Brasher residents 23-year-old Adam J. Baublitz, 24-year-old Kassi-Lynn Marcoux-Baublitz, 18-year-old Jon-Alec N. Connell, and 17-year-old Jonathan R. Barto were all charged with breaking into the St. Regis Falls home of Ritchie DeCarr while brandishing weapons and making threats. A female juvenile was also charged in connection with the case.
District Attorney Derek Champagne said the weapons included a yet-to-be-recovered firearm, a club, and a piece of wood. He stated at the time of the incident that his office believes Randall and Baublitz were the brains behind the operation.
Baublitz was paroled from Bare Hill Correctional Facility on Feb. 9, which was 20 days before the home invasion, according to the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (NYSDOCCS). He served three years of a six-year sentence for fourth-degree grand larceny and second-degree forgery.
Mr. Champagne pointed out on Friday that DeCarr is currently facing a charge of third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance for allegedly selling cocaine.
This goes hand-in-hand with our theory to begin with that it was drug-related, he said.
State police investigators said at the time of the groups arrests that nothing was reported stolen in the burglary attempt. One of the defendants reportedly knew the alleged victim; the St. Regis Falls man was able to provide investigators with the nickname of one of the men involved in the incident, police said.
Champagne said Baublitz, Marcoux-Baublitz and Barto, have plea deals pending, and Connell is scheduled to be sentenced for his role in the burglary on Dec. 3.