Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Sun., Oct. 4
Serving the communities of Massena and Potsdam, New York
Related Stories

Brown rallied to tie SLU men; SLU women prevail


PROVIDENCE, RI - The streak continues for Brown University’s men’s hockey team in its series with St. Lawrence University as the Bears rallied from a 3-0 deficit to escape with a 3-3 tie at Meehan Auditorium on Friday night, assuring the Bears at least one point in a season against the Saints for the 21st straight year.

Brown went into Friday’s game with a 4-2-1 record against the Saints in their last seven meetings and is the only team among the Saints 11 ECAC opponents to have taken at least one point from the Saints in every one of the last 21 years. It looked like the Saints were going to walk out of Meehan Auditorium with their second straight win when Justin Bruckel gave them a 3-0 lead with under five minutes to go in the second period, but the Bears battled back.

Freshman Taki Pantziris scored his first collegiate goal when he chipped a pass from Nick Lappin over the stick of Saint goalie Matt Weninger with 47 seconds left in the second period and sophomore Matt Lorito scored third period goals just 2:32 apart

to pull the Bears even. Brown thought it had a win with just over 45 seconds left in the five minute overtime period, but it was ruled after video review that a player was in the crease when Dennis Robertson’s shot from the center point went under the crossbar.

Brown outshot the Saints 34-20, but Weninger was solid in goal with 31 saves to earn the tie and push the Saint unbeaten streak to five games.

Jeremy Wick opened the scoring for the Saints when he took a pass from defenseman Jordan Dewey and beat Brown starter Marco DiFilippo from the top of the right faceoff circle at 18:53 of the first. It went to 2-0 when Kyle Flanagan scored his seventh of the year on a Saint power play 11:55 into the second. Flanagan took a pass from George Hughes, cut to the middle and snapped a shot over the shoulder of DiFilippo with Greg Carey also assisting.

Sophomore Justin Bruckel made it a 3-0 game with his first collegiate goal on a partial breakaway at 15:45, taking a lead pass from Justin Baker and chasing DiFilippo from the net with his goal and a 3-0 Saint lead.

Lappin, the son of former Saint All America Pete Lappin, started the Brown comeback when he fought off a good Saint defensive play and backhanded a pass to Pantziris for the first Brown goal late in the second. Lorito then made it a 3-2 game when he tapped home a rebound of a shot by Dennis Robertson which Weninger got a pad on, but couldn’t control at 3:12 of the third. Lorito then tied it at 5:44, just 15 seconds into a Brown power play, as Robertson again took the initial shot and Lorito directed it through Weninger’s pads from the top of the crease.

Both teams had chances to win it in regulation, but Weninger and Brown reliever Anthony Borelli prevented further scoring and Brown was able to come away with its come-from-behind tie.


At Appleton Arena, the SLU women’s hockey team picked up its fifth straight win, topping Brown University by the score of 4-1. Senior captain Kelly Sabatine assisted on the first three Saint goals, while sophomore Carmen MacDonald turned in a solid 24-save effort.

St. Lawrence is now 5-5-0 (3-0-0) and will look to earn a conference weekend sweep tomorrow against Yale. Meanwhile, the Bears fall to 1-4-0 (1-4-0) after being outshot 36-25.

The Saints never trailed in the game, as sophomore Amanda Boulier tallied her first goal of the year only 1:12 into the first period. Boulier’s shot from outside the right circle got through traffic and past a screened Katie Jamieson for the early cushion. Sabatine and junior Rylee Smith assisted on the only goal of the first period.

Though Jamieson was able to keep St. Lawrence in check in the first following the goal, the home team would tack on two goals in a 3:24 span to open up a 3-0 advantage in the second period. Smith scored on the power play at the 3:58 mark, banging home a rebound off a shot off the end boards by Sabatine. Senior Brooke Fernandez also assisted on the goal that made it 2-0.

Sabatine would then earn her third assist, as she worked hard to chip the puck away from a Brown defender in the slot. The puck bounced to rookie Abbey McRae, who fired a shot past Jamieson for the 3-0 lead at 7:22 of the second.

Brown would pressure throughout the stanza and would earn some great chances on a five-minute power play. Though the Saints nearly killed the entire major penalty, Sarah Robson would break through for the Bears at 13:07 on a rebound chance in front of MacDonald. The goal was Robson’s second of the year and was assisted by Laurie Jolin and Lauren Vella.

St. Lawrence would play great defense with a sound offense in the third period, as the puck was in Brown’s end of the ice throughout most of the frame. The Saints held a 16-6 advantage in shots on goal in the period, though Jamieson did well to keep her team in the contest.

The only goal of the frame came in the final minute, as Sydney Bell scored her first collegiate goal on the empty net to ensure her team of the victory, 4-1.

Katie Jamieson closed with 32 saves in the game but remains winless at 0-3-0, while MacDonald earned the win having made 24 saves, 14 coming in the second period. St. Lawrence closed with a 1-for-6 mark on the power play while Brown was 1-of-4.

St. Lawrence will look to earn the weekend sweep and remain unbeaten in ECAC Hockey play tomorrow, Saturday, November 10 against the Yale Bulldogs at 4 p.m.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
DCO on FacebookWDT on Twitter