MORRISTOWN A faulty chimney has been blamed for a Christmas night fire that damaged a summer home on River Road, Morristown Fire Chief Kevin J. Crosby said, with quick work by firefighters averting what could have been a much bigger disaster.
A few more minutes and it would have been a completely different story, Chief Crosby said.
Two or three people were in the home and escaped without injuries, he said.
Owner Douglas Mayhew and his wife were celebrating Christmas in the house.
The fire at 441 River Road E. was reported at 11:44 p.m., with crews arriving to find flames in the back corner of the house. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the back wall on the first and second floors, with minimal damage from smoke, flames and water, the chief said. Damage is estimated at $2,000 to $3,000.
The house was insured,Mr. Crosby said.
Morristown was assisted on scene by the Brier Hill Fire Department, with the Heuvelton Fire Department on standby at the Morristown fire station.