Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown Daily Times
The Journal
Daily Courier-Observer
NNY Ads
NNY Business
NNY Living
Malone Telegram
Thu., Apr. 17
SUBSCRIBE
Serving the communities of Massena and Potsdam, New York
Related Stories

BRAC proposal in fiscal year 2014 budget draws local concern, opposition

ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A
print this article
e-mail this article

FORT DRUM — A new push for base realignment and closure in the Department of Defense’s fiscal year 2014 budget will not be receive Congressional support, according to Rep. William L. Owens.

“The president can propose BRAC but it takes Congress to approve it,” Mr. Owens said. “The fact that the president proposes it doesn’t mean much.”

The DOD’s proposed $526.6 billion budget, announced Wednesday, includes a request for a 2015 BRAC round, which would go into effect in 2016. Additional funds have been designated for future budgets to handle front-end costs associated with such a plan.

Any base closure would require Congressional approval. Last year, a similar BRAC request was quickly defeated in Congress.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday, Pentagon Comptroller Robert Hale said the military would continue to request base closures from Congress.

“We know we need it, it’s the only effective way to consolidate infrastructure,” he said. “I think it would be irresponsible of us not to go up there and say, as a part of a package, we need you to let us do this.”

The last BRAC round took place in 2005, with other rounds in 1995, 1993, 1991 and 1989.

Mr. Owens, D-Plattsburgh, said he would have a tough time voting for the newly proposed budget as it currently stands due to the inclusion of BRAC.

“I don’t think it’s necessary,” he said.

The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense member said that savings could come from other places in the budget.

Sen. Kirsten E. Gillibrand, a Senate Armed Services Committee member, expressed doubt about the effectiveness of BRAC cuts.

“As we’ve seen before, such proposals do not necessarily produce long-term savings in the Defense budget, but instead, come at the expense of local economies and military communities that are home to some of America’s bravest,” she said, in a statement from her office.

Carl A. McLaughlin, executive director of the Fort Drum Regional Liaison Organization, said he wasn’t surprised at the request. He added that he anticipated installations like the post would not be the main subject of cuts, with cuts instead centered at smaller depots and other testing sites. However, Mr. McLaughlin said the possibility of cuts left him uneasy.

“Every time you’re faced with base closures, you have to be prepared to go to the mat for it,” he said. “It is a process where they look at what consolidations make sense. I think our asset makes sense.”

Mr. Hale said that reducing infrastructure was also necessary to reduce civilian personnel, another department goal. Asked if economic improvements in the next two years could improve the prospects for base closures, he said that may work in the department’s favor.

Other highlights of Wednesday’s budget announcement include:

■ The requested budget represents a decrease in $900 million from the previous year’s budget.

■ The budget does not account for cuts in connection to sequestration, and is about $50 billion more than what would be allowed under budget legislation passed in 2011. Without a new agreement overriding sequestration, the budget would face automatic cuts.

■ The budget includes an increase in charges, deductibles and co-pays for Tricare users, such as a new enrollment fee for new Tricare for Life beneficiaries.

■ The budget increases military pay by 1 percent, and housing and subsistence allowances would rise by 4.2 percent and 3.4 percent, respectively.

■ The budget does not list Overseas Contingencies Operations funding requests, which may not be available for a few weeks.

Staff writer Sean Ewart contributed to this story.

Connect with Us
DCO on FacebookWDT on Twitter
Reader Rewards
Reader Rewards