MASSENA - The Massena Town Board held a special meeting Monday afternoon to formally accepted a $4.3 million grant that will allow them to make improvements and upgrades at Massena International Airport.
The grant was announced last month and will allow the town to repave one of the airports runways, while also remarking a second runway at the airport.
We hope that the runway marking will be completed this construction season, said Town Supervisor Joseph D. Gray, who added the repaving will have to wait until next year.
Thats a much more complex job, he said, explaining the current runway will torn up prior to be repaved.
When the time for that work does come though, Mr. Gray said hes not expecting it to have an impact on the airports business. Well just use the other runway, he said.
The $4,329,760 grant was awarded by the U.S. Department of Transportation and comes with a local share of 2.5 percent.
Mr. Gray explained the grant will cover 97.5 percent of the projects cost, with the remaining 2.5 percent to be covered by the town.
This was included in the 2013 budget, Mr. Gray said, adding the purpose of Monday afternoons meeting was to get the ball rolling and ensure at least part of the work is completed this year. We have to formally accept it in order to get the ball rolling, he said.
The board then went into executive session to discusses two cases of pending litigation, one of which was connected to its code enforcement office. Further details were not available.