Northern New York Newspapers
Watertown Daily Times
The Journal
Daily Courier-Observer
NNY Business
NNY Living
Malone Telegram
Wed., Apr. 16
Serving the communities of Massena and Potsdam, New York
Related Stories

Massena man pleads guilty to attempted petit larceny count

print this article
e-mail this article

MASSENA - A Massena man will be sentenced in January after he admitted he had withdrawn $342 from an acquaintance’s bank account without her permission after she had provided him with personal information so he could help her gain access to her cash when she was in Burlington, Vt., helping a friend whose husband was hospitalized.

Andrew R. Post, 35, of 250 River Drive, Massena, pleaded guilty to attempted petit larceny. Massena Village Justice Eric J. Gustafson directed the probation department to conduct a pre-sentence investigation and scheduled sentencing for Jan. 28.

Village police had charged Post with two counts of petit larceny June 25 stemming from the unauthorized use of an acquaintance’s debit card on two occasions.

He withdrew $200 out of Rhonda R. Lunderman’s SeaComm account without her permission on June 22 and another $142 from that same account June 23 at Ray’s Place.

According to court documents, Ms. Lunderman and Misty Timmons took a third woman June 22 to Burlington, Vt., where the unidentified woman’s husband was being treated at the Fletcher-Allen Medical Center.

Ms. Lunderman said when she reached Rouses Point she realized she had left her wallet at home. She said she was unsuccessful in locating friends or family to assist her, and Ms. Timmons had suggested Post would be willing to assist her.

“Misty called Andy, and he said he would be willing to help us out,” she noted in her statement to police.

She said she told Post how to get into her residence, the location of her wallet and the code he would need to use to withdraw money from her account on her debit card. She said she asked Post to withdraw $240 from her account and wire it to her. She indicated that transaction was completed.

But, she said, when she returned home she discovered the balance in her account was more than $300 lower than she anticipated and noticed the two unauthorized withdrawals.

Ms. Lunderman said Ms. Timmons called Post and confronted him about the missing money.

“Andy admitted taking money from me. He told her he would pay me back this week,” Ms. Lunderman told police, noting he had failed to do so.

She said she also talked briefly with Post during that phone call.

“He told me that he was sorry and that he was wrong,” she said.

In other recent court action before Judge Gustafson:

Ÿ Christopher M. Tracy, 31, of 54 Academy St., Apt. 2, Malone, was fined $250 and a $125 surcharge and placed under a one-year conditional discharge for a disorderly conduct conviction.

He had been charged with petit larceny at 5:46 p.m. April 6 following an incident at Walmart. He allegedly shoplifted two books, two DVDs, two packages of cheese and four packages of Little Smokies. The merchandise was valued at $133.10.

St. Lawrence County Assistant Public Defender Alison Appleby said Tracy had been involved in substance abuse treatment programs, including placement in a halfway house, for the past several months.

“Mr. Tracy is in a better place now, working hard at his sobriety,” she said.

Ÿ Terry L. Bercume, 48, of 250 Main St., Massena, was ordered to pay a $125 surcharge for an unlawful possession of marijuana conviction. He had a small plastic bag containing marijuana in his right front pocket when he was taken into custody by police on other charges on July 2.

Ÿ Jeremy M. Lawrence, 33, of 18 Park Ave., Apt. G, Massena, was released from custody and placed under the supervision of the probation department after spending two days in custody.

Village police had charged Lawrence with third-degree assault, second-degree harassment and resisting arrest on Nov. 24. His girlfriend, Cheryl V. Cook, 49, of the same address was charged with obstruction of governmental administration after jumping on the back of Ptl. Michael J. O’Brien while he was attempting to place Lawrence in handcuffs.

According to her statement to police, trouble began after a night of drinking at the Rusty Wheel.

“Jeremy and I got into a verbal argument at the Rusty Wheel,” Cook said in her statement to police, adding she then walked home.

“About half an hour later, Jeremy came back home. I yelled at Jeremy because he was talking to another woman at the bar,” she said. “Jeremy told me to get out of his place.”

Cook said the incident became violent at that point.

“He then grabbed me by the hair, threw me against the neighbor’s door and threw me down the stairs,” she said.

Connect with Us
DCO on FacebookWDT on Twitter
Reader Rewards
Reader Rewards