Northern New York Newspapers
NNY Business
NNY Living
Wed., Oct. 7
Serving the communities of Massena and Potsdam, New York
Related Stories

SLU men drop ECAC hockey decision at home to Dartmouth


CANTON — Grant Opperman scored the deciding goal late in the second period and goalie Charles Grant made 32 saves as Dartmouth downed St. Lawrence University, 3-1, on Friday night in an ECAC Hockey game at Appleton Arena.

Jeremy Wick scored the lone goal for the Saints (11-15-3, 5-9-3), who continued their struggles on home ice, dropping to 4-9 in games in Canton this season.

Tyler Sikura and Eric Neiley each recorded two assists for the Big Green (5-16-3, 4-12-1), which won for just the third time on the road this season and moved out of last place in the league.

Matt Weninger stopped 22 of 25 shots for St. Lawrence, which is now in a three-way tie for eighth place in the conference with Brown and Harvard.

SUNY Canton 2, Franklin Pierce 2 (OT): At the Roos House in Canton, the Roos (5-14-3) got on the board first as Joe Casale (Niagara Falls, NY) fed the puck to Jordan Grimsley (Palmetto, FL) just outside the left faceoff circle. Grimsley laced a wrister over the stick of Kyle Moran for his first goal of the season to make it 1-0 at the 6:43 mark.

With time winding down in the first period senior captain Cory Giczewski (Fountain Valley, CA) skated behind the net and around the right side finding a cutting Nick Vasilopoulos (Montreal, QUE) on the left side. Vasilopoulos beat Moran for the two-goal lead after 20 minutes of play.

The Ravens (4-15-3) trimmed the deficit to one 2:07 into the second period when Bryan Colella fed Matt Batis who lifted a shot over the right shoulder of Morgan Barr (Almonte, ON) to make it 2-1.

Franklin Pierce tied the game at the 12:58 mark of the second frame when Tyler Cornele netted his seventh marker of the season beating Barr over the stick side. Shane Dowd and Brendan Glynn assisted the score to make it 2-2.

Barr made 28 saves between the pipes for the Roos while Moran stopped 42 shots for the Ravens.

The two teams will have a rematch today at 4 p.m. at the Roos House.


Hobart 69, Clarkson 50: In a Libertly League game played in Geneva, a strong first half from Connor Rehbaum gave Hobart a solid lead at the break and Clarkson couldn’t change the momentum after intermission.

The Golden Knights fell to 12-9 overall and 6-6 in the Liberty League, just outside the top four in the conference with four games to go. Hobart improved clinched its spot in the conference tournament by improving to 18-5 overall and 12-2 in conference play.

Sophomore Felix Abongo (Beacon, NY) was the only Clarkson player to finish in double figures, scoring a team-best 17 points on 5-12 shooting from the field and a 6-6 performance from the free throw line, while adding in eight rebounds.

For Hobart, Rehbaum finished with 20 points, going 7-13 from the floor including four 3-pointers. Richie Bonney, who had 31 in the first meeting of the two teams, was held to 13 points, but made six of his seven attempts from the floor and controlled the glass with 14 rebounds. Trey Blanding also chipped in 12 points and seven assists for the Statesmen.

SLU 76, RIT 68: In Rochester, the SLU men scored the final nine points of the game to come away with the key late-season win.

First-year student Kieran Miller had a double-double with 12 points and 13 boards, and classmate Kyle Edwards scored a game-high 19 points.

St. Lawrence improves to 8-13 (4-8) on the season while RIT falls to 14-8 (8-5) despite impressive outings from J.P. Reagan and Gabe Nicasio, who had 17 and 16 points, respectively.

The Saints will be in action again this afternoon on the road against Hobart College in Geneva starting at 4 p.m.


William Smith 67, Clarkson 57: Falling behind in the early minutes by double digits, Clarkson had to play catch up for the rest of the contest and was unable to overcome the deficit in suffering the Liberty League loss in Geneva.

The Golden Knights fell to 8-12 overall and 3-9 in the Liberty League, and coupled with a win by RIT were eliminated from the conference playoff race. William Smith improved its standing to 18-5 overall and 11-3 in league games. Clarkson will take on the RIT Tigers at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Clarkson scored the first basket of the game, but it would be the last time that the Knights would have a lead.

Sophomore Ashley Loggins (Albany, NY) led Clarkson with 15 points, shooting 7-14 from the floor, and added in five rebounds and four assists. Freshman Alyssia Marsal (Clifton Park, NY) tossed in 12 points on 5-7 shooting and also contributed five rebounds. Junior Cara Manfredi (Glastonbury, CT) also produced 10 points.

For William Smith, both Chloe Hayter and Jacqueline Murphy came up a rebound short of a double-double, with Hayter scoring 18 points with nine boards and Murphy adding in 12 points and nine rebounds. Erin O’Brien also had 16 points, five rebounds, and five assists.

RIT 59, SLU 43: In Rochester, the Tigers avenged the loss over the Saints in Rochester to keep pace in the Liberty League playoff chase.

The loss drops St. Lawrence to 14-7 overall and into a tie for first place with Vassar, which won in overtime against Skidmore. RIT improves to 8-5 in the league (12-10 overall) and continue to hold down the No. 4 seed in the standings.

St. Lawrence shot only 29% (16-of-56) from the floor, as Allison Cady finished as the lone Saint who shot over 50% from the field (6-of-11) for a team-high 12 points.

RIT was led by Courtney Tennant’s 18 points, while Ashlynn Palmitesso added 15. The Tigers closed with a 46-40 edge in rebounding. The home team finished with 26 points in the paint and 19 coming off of St. Lawrence turnovers.

St. Lawrence, which saw its six-game win streak came to an end, will take on William Smith this afternoon in Geneva at 2 p.m.


SLU 4, Dartmouth 1: In an ECAC game played in Hanover, New Hampshire, sophomore Jenna Marks tallied her first career hat trick with a goal in each period to help the St. Lawrence women’s hockey team down Dartmouth.

With the win, the Saints are now tied with Quinnipiac in fourth-place in the ECAC Hockey standings.

Although it was the Big Green that struck first and opened up a 1-0 lead late in the first period on a Devon Moir tally, they wouldn’t stay in front for long.

Marks netted her first of three at the 17:51 mark of the opening frame.

Marks then gave the Saints the 2-1 lead 7:34 into the second when she one-timed a shot from the top of the crease.

The third Saints goal came just four seconds into a power-play early in the third period after Dartmouth’s Emma Korbs was assessed a penalty for tripping. Abbey McRae won the ensuing faceoff back to Rylee Smith on the left half-boards, who then backhanded a pass to the front of the net. Alex Moore – who was screening Holdcroft – was able to get a stick on it and redirect the puck into the back of the net to give the Saints a 3-1 lead. Marks added an empty-net insurance tally to seal the hat trick with 1:23.

Carmen MacDonald turned away 32 shots on the night, including 15 in the first period to keep the Saints in the game.

The Saints will take on No. 6 Harvard at the Bright Hockey Center this afternoon at 4 p.m. for their final road game of the season.

Commenting rules:
  1. Stick to the topic of the article/letter/editorial.
  2. When responding to issues raised by other commenters, do not engage in personal attacks or name-calling.
  3. Comments that include profanity/obscenities or are libelous in nature will be removed without warning.
Violators' commenting privileges may be revoked indefinitely. By commenting you agree to our full Terms of Use.
Syracuse Football Tickets Giveaway
Connect with Us
DCO on FacebookWDT on Twitter